Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Salt Lake Temple


The Salt Lake Temple, originally uploaded by SoPhast.

The Mormon Temple...Building began in 1853, and took 40 years to build and stands 210 feet tall. The walls of the temple are 9 feet (2.7 meters) thick at the base and 6 feet (1.8 meters) thick at the top. Each granite block of the walls weighs between 2,500 and 5,600 pounds (1,134 to 2,540 kilograms) and was hauled by oxen, and later by railroad, from a granite quarry in Little Cottonwood Canyon, some 20 miles (32 kilometers) southeast of Temple Square (as it's known). The Temple is literally built in the heart of the city and all the streets were planned accordingly. To see it in person is just amazing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ryan this is your cousin nils romeike.i watch out for you on the internet and see all this nice pictures from you.i hope you see this message and send me a mail.i wanna know how you are what you do because we didn´t hear for soooooo long men°°.so please give me a mail and your e-mail addres.
nilsromeike@web.de

Pam said...

I love your picture of the SLC Temple. Awesome work. I am working on a invitation for the Young Women in my stake for a meeting we are having and was wondering if you would mind if I used your picture on the invitation. Let me know in your comments - thank you!
Pam

Ryan Romeike said...

Hi Pam ,

I'd be happy for you to use the photo in your invitation! Thank you kindly for asking first :) I'd love to see a copy if you end up with any extras.

-Ryan

Pam said...

Ryan,
I did use your picture for our invitation and will email you a copy of it if you want - thanks again!
Pam

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen of this temple. I'm wondering if I could use it, perhaps, to make a gift for my father for Christmas. He'd love it, I'm sure. If you could comment back, that would be awesome. Thanks so much. (Really, your pictures are amazing.)
Carli

Ryan Romeike said...

Carli - feel free to use the photo for your father. I can also get you the full size image for printing. If you wish to make a donation to my paypal account - romeike@gmail.com it helps!

Glad you enjoy the image. It's always nice to receive compliments on my work.

-Ryan